Friday, January 4, 2013

Joe Cuslidge, Gone But Not Forgotten

Joe Cuslidge


TIMMONSVILLE, SC - Joe Cuslidge (Lee James "Joe" Cuslidge), 90, died in a local hospital, Monday, Dec. 17, 2012 after a brief illness. Graveside services will be Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012 at 3:00 p.m. at Byrd Cemetery.
The family will speak to visitors after the service. Mr. Cuslidge was born in Stockton, California, the son of Henry E. and O'Tilla Prince Cuslidge. Joe flew on B-24 Bombers as a gunner during WWII. He was the owner of Joe's Small Engine from 1970 until he retired in 1994. Survivors are a son, Joseph E. "Joe" Cuslidge and his wife Vicki, Timmonsville; a daughter, Mary Lee Hardwick and her husband Glenn Timmonsville; grandchildren, Robbie Howell, Kipp Avant, Joseph A. Cuslidge. Layton-Anderson Funeral Home, 4210 W. Palmetto St. Florence is assisting the family with arrangements. Joe you will be remembered in our hearts.

-----

January 1, 2013
Saying goodbye to grandaddy is saying goodbye to my father - the only true one I ever had. I am so glad that he raised me and I am thankful to him for the morals he instilled in me and for being a solid anchor for my family. He was the last of the pillars that held the children that are the fathers and mothers of my cousins, mother, and uncle together. Now that he is gone I fear that this family, already scattered to the wind, will lose touch for good with each other. My fondest memories are Christmases at my home with grandad and grandmom. We were a house full - and it was filled with laughter and love with hardly room to stand. Over the years it dwindled and with the loss of each sister and brother and thier spouses, distance grew between the once close children of the families elders. I soon found myself looking at the remnants of a what once was and it has never been the same again. Grandad would have loved for it to remain the same and to play his guitar for all of us on Christmas Eve and sit and laugh with us. Now he is with my grandmother for eternity and I know he is happy - but they both would still love to see the little house at 401 South Hill Street filled with laughter and good times again. I know I would. I love you grandaddy. You were always there for me and us and I hope that I have made you proud by becoming the man I am. I will never think of the hills of California or listen to Chet Atkins play guitar and not think of you. I hope to be as admired and respected and loved as you were. Goodbye and thank you for the 48 years you gave me. Robert Howell 1-2013
~
Robert Howell,
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

I have placed this here because the Morning News paper will remove it from their internet site on January 17, and I wanted the Timmonsville folks to always be able to see how much Robert loved his grandfather Joe Cuslidge who was a pillar of our community...Thank you Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment