Saturday, March 23, 2013

1964 Timmonsville Grammar School 4th Grade Class

1964 - Margaret Crumpton, 4th grade - Timmonsville, SC

Sherry Hill Dail, daughter of Ray and Mildred Hill of Timmonsville, shared this photo of Margaret Crumpton's 1964 class at the Timmonsville Grammar School on Pinckney Street in Timmonsville.  The Timmonsville Facebook Group had a wonderful conversation about it. I found it so delightful that I am sharing it here. Please leave a comment below if you recognize anyone else in the photo. Please note the row order from left or right and desk order from front or back when identifying the person. Click [HERE] for a larger view.

This is the Facebook thread (all dates are 2013):
  • Stanley A Gaddy - "That's me in the very center" February 26 at 5:28pm
  • Dolly Johnson Sarrio - "My sister Gwen Johnson is in this one." February 26 at 6:06pm
  • Dolly Johnson Sarrio - "Stan is in front of the little Hicks girl was her name Lynn?" February 26 at 6:07pm
  • Renee White Roberts - "I can feel Miss Crumpton's mean remarks as I see this class."  February 26 at 6:11pm
  • Bennie Hill - "She looks sweet and innocent....if she was mean I'm glad we moved before I had her." February 26 at 6:46pm
  • Sherry Dail - "Stan you are not hard to recognize in that picture." February 26 at 7:15pm
  • Sherry Dail - "Dolly, that is Lynn Hicks in the picture." February 26 at 7:17pm
  • Dianne Hill Anderson - "At least 30 children in this class. And I bet you could hear a pin drop. Ms. Crumpton was tough." February 26 at 10:21pm
  • Angeline Hopkins Wiggins - "She was my 4th grade teacher & a very good one. I remember learning to play Tonettes in her class." February 26 at 10:23pm
  • Emily Mathis Betts - "OMG. Bless her little heart. There were 33 of us and we all attended class together - don't recall there ever being many problems. If somebody decided to 'cut up" they had the privilege of having their desk moved up front to sit beside the teacher for a few days - or worse still - a little visit to speak with Major Anderson was arranged!" February 27 at 8:43am
  • Rose Anne Huggins - "Baldwin What a blast from the past! I do believe I see my brother in there and look at Clair Hewitt's feet..no shoes!!!" February 27 at 10:29am
  • Angeline Hopkins Wiggins - "Notice all the tall windows we had for cross ventilation. We really were fine without A/C."  February 28 at 12:43pm · Like ·  1
  • Roy Hopkins - "Loved Mrs. Crumpton!!!" March 5 at 9:51pm
  • Emily Mathis Betts - "You are right about the windows, Angeline - I don't ever remember getting hot, but I do remember being cold." March 5 at 10:11pm · Like
  • Roy Hopkins - " I remember the radiators hissing and knocking. Also remember the rest rooms in the basement along with the boiler room." March 6 at 9:14am
  • Mal Weatherly - "I was never in Miss Crumpton's class, but I have lots of memories of her since she was one of my grandmother Buddin's best friends. She was always very sweet to me, and I thought a lot of her. March 8 at 12:15pm
  • Renee White Roberts - "I can remember the 'new' bathrooms, but not the old ones." March 8 at 12:26pm
  • Emily Mathis Betts - "In looking at this picture again, there are blinds at the windows!!! We had shades!! Nice upgrade." March 8 at 12:41pm
  • Angeline Hopkins Wiggins - "I had not noticed the blinds, Emily. I imagine the sun could get warm and quite bright near the top of those huge windows." March 8 at 4:23pm
  • Darlene Galloway Warfel - "Is that Kirby Jordan on the left?" March 10 at 6:55pm
  • Sherry Dail - "Yes that is Kirby." March 11 at 11:52am
  • Sara McLeod Rogers - "I remember you had to help her take care of the plants and flowers!" March 12 at 2:06pm
  • Jackie Simpson - "What year is that?" March 12 at 3:21pm
  • Darlene Galloway Warfel - "Jackie, I would think early 60's...I think Kirby is a few years younger than me." March 12 at 4:49pm
  • Jackie Simpson - "So very long after I left Timmonsville. I was in the 4th grade in probably about 1938-39. We didn't have class pictures or anything. Didn't even have a yearbook when I was in High School. So sad." March 12 at 4:59pm
  • Darlene Galloway Warfel - "That is sad! Having 4 sisters, I didn't get an annual of my own until after they graduated. I think I have just ones from high school. Momma and Daddy could only afford one a year!" March 12 at 5:01pm
  • Sherry Dail - "The year is 1964." March 12 at 9:06pm

[end]
------------------

I love the history of this small town and her people who lived there....how will we save them?

Timmonsville Grammar School
Later became the School District office. Now it sits vacant.


View Larger Map

2 comments:

  1. Post a comment here if you know any of the folks in the above picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1964 Timmonsville Grammar School have the photo collection of their school and the students also. They collect the photo of their 4th grade class in 1964. How funny at that time of grammar school photos collection when the students are very little.

    ReplyDelete