Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Thanksgiving~ Another Favorite Recipe~~Spinach Dip!



Spinach Dip!

Do not deviate.  Do this exactly this way, no substitutes.  No brand changes etc and you will be rewarded.  It's a cannot miss, never fail, starter.  

2 Pkgs Frozen Chopped Spinach (2 boxes).  I think they are 10 oz's a piece.  This you might have to deviate on and buy in a bag if they don't have the boxes.  It's fine as long as you use the right amount which is total 20 oz and it is chopped.  Canned spinach does not taste as good.  Not sure why, but think it's cooked. 

1 Pkg KNORR'S Vegetable Soup Mix. (NO OTHER BRAND)

2 Cups Sour Cream (NOT LOW FAT)

2 Cups Mayonaise ( I use Best Foods for this.but we southerners use Dukes.  I think a generic is fine but NO Miracle Whip.  It will ruin this dish).

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese.   (The kind in the shaker.  Not freshly ground etc.  Not for this).  

3 Green Onions, chopped. 

For the bread bowl and bread to spread it on, you may need to get creative.  As long as it is sour dough french bread, you're good.  I use a round loaf hollowed out to put the dip in (the night before so it soaks into the bread).  Then, I buy baguettes to slice and put the dip on to eat.  When the dip is gone, cut the bowl up like a pizza and eat that too!  If you can't find the round, just buy sour dough loaves.  If you can't find Sour Dough, don't make it. 

Thaw the spinach and squeeze all the water out.

Combine all the ingredients (except the bread).

Best if made the night prior, refrigerated but can do the same day.  Serve in a hollowed out, round, sourdough french bread bowl with bread cubes or slices of baquettes.  

Bon Apetite! My friend, Teri 


I was thinking about the 64 THANKSGIVINGS I have celebrated with the Banning Crew and all of them have been with my mother, Ruby Dubie.  I am her only offspring that never left home for destinations far and wide, so I have actually made every Banning Thanksgiving Feast. What wonderful times we had. 

Most of those gatherings including some spinach dip. Mama loved spinach any time and she especially loved spinach dip. My Friend Teri shared her recipe with me today, and in memory of my mom, I am sharing it with you now. It has a little twist to it. I hope you enjoy it.

We have decided the 2014 Thanksgiving will be spent with my brother in Columbia. It does seem weird 

having Thanksgiving dinner  any place other than Grannys. But with all the illness our family has endured lately, it is just easier on my brother's family to stay put. Mama's children will be together for Thanksgiving though, one more time. Mama certainly would have wanted that.

We will be back early and have planned an evening dessert party at Granny's house. Everyone will bring some yummy sweet thing  and we will have a blast tasting them all and visiting.  

Those who can come, will and those that can't come....well, we know they will be there in spirit.

So this year,  let's make sure our celebration of Thanksgiving includes the portrait of God's hand on our history as a country and a family.  He is always bringing His people together to accomplish specific purposes -- as well as learning the lesson of 1 Thessalonians 5:18: 

 "Be joyful always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances."


No comments:

Post a Comment